chemicals that contain a nitrogen and oxygen atom (NO) that are made from nitrates by microbes in the gut or soil. Nitrates provide the nitrogen content in fertilizer. Obviously, farm animals can be poisoned by eating fertilizer and even plants that have been over-fertilized. These are poisonous because they bind to hemoglobin and keep it from carrying oxygen in the blood. In large enough concentrations, nitrites and their reaction products can promote cancer. See http://www.epa.gov/safewater/dwh/c-ioc/nitrates.html for information on nitrites/nitrates in drinking water.
As a food additive, chemicals used in combination with salt to impede the growth of the bacterial spores that cause botulism. Nitrites are also used as preservatives and flavor and color enhancers.
Sodium nitrites are allowed for use in the curing process of further-processed turkey products, such as ham or frankfurters. Smaller quantities of sodium nitrites can be used to achieve faster curing as well as desired development of flavor and color. Nitrites are added in parts per million (ppm) and are used to lengthen shelf life, ensure against the development of botulism and retard the development of rancidity during storage. The FDA has ruled nitrite use in the curing process is safe and potential risks are outweighed by known benefits. See also CURED.
A family of chemically stable forms of inorganic nitrogen that are not present in significant amounts in the environment.
Chemically speaking, it is the hybridized molecule NO2, which contains a nitrogen atom and two oxygen atoms. It is converted from free ammonia and is harmful at any level.
used as fixatives in cured meats; can combine with natural stomach and food chemicals to cause dangerous cancer-causing agents called nitrosamines.
Nitrites can become nitrates in pool and spa water. They disable chlorine and can cause algae to bloom. The level can be checked with a nitrate/nitrite test kit or strip. Nitrites can be oxidized by Superchlorination.
NO 2 - -Nitrite is the molecule which contains one nitrogen atom and two oxygen atoms. It is the product of Nitrosomonas' oxidation of ammonia and is highly toxic to aquatic livestock at any level. The nitrite levels in a well cured live rock reef tank should remain at nearly 0 ppm.