Old Main, originally called "Main Building" and first built in 1863, was the first major building of The Pennsylvania State University. Built over a six year period with limestone quarried from the land directly in front of it, the structure was designed by Hugh Mc Allister and contained classrooms, laboratories, offices, a chapel, and residential space for 400 students. The limestone was carried in part by a mule named Old Coaly, whose bones were subsequently preserved and became a sort of mascot to the school.
Old Main is the oldest building on the University of Arkansas campus in Fayetteville, Arkansas. It is one of the most recognizable symbols of the University (especially to alumni and residents of the state of Arkansas), and of higher education in general in Arkansas.